To give credit where it's due, the compilation of this website would not have been possible without the support of many 'seasoned old timers' (now well past the Big Six-'0') who have all shared a small boy's passion for collecting engine numbers at one time or other. As the years rolled by, many turned their attention to railway photography - a natural adjunct to train spotting - and spurred on by the pictures that appeared in the monthly railway magazines, set about the task of recording the railway scene for the sheer joy of it.
One such man is Peter Batty, whose collection of railway photographs date back to the 'Big Four' railway companies (LNER; LMSR; GWR; SR) before they came into public ownership in 1948. Now retired, PR Batty has dedicated his time to the Friends of the National Railway Museum as member of the editing staff on the quarterly journal, 'Review'.
(Above-Below) This shot of a rather grimy Stanier Pacific No 46245 City of London - still carrying LMS on the tender - was taken at Camden shed on 4th April 1950. (Below) To facilitate the increase in wartime freight traffic to English ports, the Southern Railway's CME 1937-1947, OV Bulleid designed the Class 'Q1' 0-6-0. This all-purpose engine had a maximum tractive effort of 30,000lb with a minimum weight of 51 tons 5cwt which gave the Q1 the widest possible route availability throughout the SR network. Shortages of materials meant that Bullied had to dispense with traditional locomotive embellishments such as a footplate, wheel splashers and, in place of spoked wheels, a lighter 'boxpox' variety was used instead. The unusual 'bucket-style' chimney and non-cylindrical outer cladding of the boiler casing (made up of three sections) gave the Class Q1 the dubious distinction of being one of the ugliest ever seen on Britain's railways. Nonetheless, Bullied succeeded in producing a locomotive almost 14 tons lighter than any other engines of comparable size and power. Here, the 'no frills' design is clearly seen as No 33016 shares the company of a more conventional Class '700' No 30684 at Nine Elms in June 1956 . Photo © PR Batty
(Above) This charming shot of 'E' class 4-4-0 No 31166 at Bricklayers Arms in April 1953, gives some idea of the grimy conditions to be found at steam sheds in the Fifties. By the 1960s, Britain was showing signs of recovery from the ravages of World War 2, and more lucrative job prospects were being offered in alternative industries than BR had on its books. Therefore few willing hands could be found to do the hard, dirty job of cleaning and firing steam engines at depots, and BR's ageing steam fleet fell into a dire state of cleanliness. The 'E' class was a Wainwright design, introduced in 1905 for the South Eastern & Chatham Railway. Harry Wainwright was appointed the SECR's locomotive superintendent between 1899-1913, and produced several designs comprised of robust and conventional 0-6-0, 0-4-4T and 4-4-0 locomotive types, several of which survived into BR days. The last 'E' class was withdrawn in 1955 and Bricklayers Arms shed (73B) closed its doors at the beginning of the 1962 summer timetable.
THE PETER BATTY PICTURE GALLERY - AROUND THE REGIONS
THE PETER BATTY PICTURE GALLERY - DIESEL DEVELOPMENTS
(Above-Below) Introduced in 1945, the LMS/EE Co Class 'OF' 0-6-0 diesel electric shunter Nos 12033-12138 (later classified DEJ3 by the Eastern and North Eastern Regions of British Railways) ended their days as TOPS Class 11. Constructed at Derby, the fleet of 106 shunters was powered by EE Co 6-cylinder 350hp engines with a maximum tractive effort of 35,000lb. By 1967, withdrawal of this class was relatively swift due to a combination of reduced freight traffic and the rationalisation of BR's motive power under the National Traction Plan. The photo shows No 12063 resting between duties at Kentish Town MPD on 16 October 1955. (Below) Introduced in 1958, the Barclay 204hp 0-4-0 diesel-mechanical shunter numbered 25 in the BR fleet. The shunter was powered by the same Gardner Type 8L3 engine as above, giving a maximum tractive effort of 20,000lb. Transmission was mechanical using the Wilson-Drewry CA5 type 5-speed epicyclic gearbox. No D2418 was photographed at Inverurie Works, Scotland on 16 May 1959. Photos © PR Batty
Polite notice: All text and photographs are protected by copyright and reproduction is prohibited without the prior consent of the © owners. If you wish to discuss the contents of this page the email address is below. Please note - this is not a 'clickable mail-to link via Outlook Express: